W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-mwts@w3.org > February 2007

[minutes] Tue Feb 8 Teleconf

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 11:23:26 +0100
To: public-mwts@w3.org
Message-Id: <1170930206.4246.293.camel@cumulustier>

Hi,

The minutes of our teleconf last Tuesday are available at:
http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html
linked from the group home page and copied as text below.

Dom


    Mobile Web Initiative Test Suites Working Group Teleconference

6 Feb 2007

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mwts/2007Feb/0003.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Carmelo, dom, Dmitri, Allen, Till, drooks, Andrea

   Regrets
   Chair
          Dom

   Scribe
          carmelo

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]survey of existing test suites for mobile web
            technologies
         2. [6]Open framework for test suites on Authoring practices
         3. [7]Progress on scheduling next F2F
         4. [8]Teleconf
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________


survey of existing test suites for mobile web technologies

   Dom suggested starting with survey of test suites

   Andrea introduced himself and explained a bit about his work.

   Andrea and his company are interested on anything mobile.

   Andrea and his company developed first test suite for mobile devices

   David introduced himself as well.

   Dom started the discussion on test suite evaluation

   <dom> [10]http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/Tests/matrix

     [10] http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/Tests/matrix

   Any comment anyone on the matrix?

   <dom> ACTION: Dmitri to take SVG [recorded in
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2007/01/30-mwts-minutes.html#action05]

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2007/01/30-mwts-minutes.html#action05

   Dmitri will send the report later today

   Dom - DOM Test suite if final at this stage

   can be a good candidate for packaging

   Dom attempted to run DOM Suite on a mobile device (phone) and did
   not worked

   Dom attempted to run the ECMA Script version of the suite

   Dom - with CSS there can be a limited set of fonts available on
   mibile devices

   Dom mentioned that very little information is available on the HTML
   test suite.

   OMA files may not be as available as W3'c and may present a problem

   Dom asked if any interest on this suites?

   Till - Opera is very interested on this

   Dom - will Opera be interested on using a package of the test
   suites?

   Till - yes, on repacking and making the test suites better

   Dom - What will be the next step?

   carmelo suggested to examine the tests themselves

   Dom - Run the tests on a mobile device.

   Till - Opera will have no problem with this

   Allen - Does not an available phone

   Carmelo Till and Dom will attempt to run the tests on a mobile
   device

   <lynne> I'm only on IRC

   Carmelo will attempt both, DOM and CSS

   <dom> ACTION: Dom to run DOM and CSS test suites on his phones
   [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action02]

   <dom> ACTION: Carmelo to run the DOM and CSS test suites on his
   phone [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action03]

   Till will concentrate on CSS

   <dom> ACTION: Till to run the CSS Test suite on his phone [recorded
   in [14]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action04]

   <dom> ACTION: Dmitri to try and see if he can run one of the test
   suites on his development board [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action05]

   Dom - maybe on two weeks get feeback from mobile

   <dom> ACTION: Carmelo to send his multi-test suite cataloguing
   system to the mailing list [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action06]

   Carmelo will send catalog framework later today

   Dom - once the test suite system is packaged, we should try to get
   feedback from user agents

   Till noted that we have little information about the coverage of the
   tests suites

   Dom - The DOM Suite is fairly complete I think, since generated
   directly from the spec.

   Carmelo - to take a closer look at CSS for coverage

   <dom> ACTION: Carmelo to take a closer look at CSS for coverage
   [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action07]

Open framework for test suites on Authoring practices

   <dom> "The group is aiming at developing in parallel a more general
   test suite for the mobile web that would focus on specific authoring
   difficulties or techniques. This test suite could allow both user
   agents developers to converge on specific behaviors for situations
   that are highlighted by the test suite, and also document for
   content authors what are the existing options to develop content
   that works across a broad range of devices and user agents.

   <dom> Similar efforts have been made in other contexts; for
   instance, the Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group analyzed the
   support of XHTML Basic 1.1 and CSS media types in current user
   agents, as well as the various behaviors of user agents in face of
   several encoding declarations techniques.

   <dom> The goal is to make this a very open process to allow to
   survey a wide range of authoring practices. To that end, the Working
   Group is looking at setting up a framework that would allow:

   <dom> * the Web community to submit interesting test cases for
   review and inclusion in the test suite

   <dom> * Mobile Web users that wish to do so to run through the
   various tests cases and report back easily which tests pass or
   failed on their browsers

   <dom> "

   Carmelo mentioned that a NIST Framework for submssion through NIST
   is not promising

   <dom>
   [18]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mwts/2007Feb/0002.htm
   l

     [18] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mwts/2007Feb/0002.html

   (above link on a possible framework for submission system)

   Dom suggested that a starting point can be by just simply creating a
   mailing list - it does presents a problem if a lot of submissions
   come in.

   Dom - suggested a we (w3c) build a frameowrk using a web interface
   to manage the submissions.

   Dom - it can also be reusable by others

   Carmelo asked how difficult will be to develop such a system

   Dom - Correct metadata needs to presented

   Till - not sure about whic action was assigned to him, usage of TS
   or framework availability at Opera.

   Till - partly yes on usage of TS

   Till - A bit more negative to it at this point

   Till - At least to their daily work

   Dom - Lets attempt to get feedback from other (Web content
   developers)

   Carmelo - Why would such a system not be of interest?

   Till - does not see much usage on Day to day operations

   Dom - feedback from Web developers is a must

   <dom> ACTION: Dom to get feedback on the open test suite on
   authoring practices from content developers [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action08]

   Dom -->Based on feedback, the we will see if a complex system is
   required for test management

   Dom - Any other comments/

   nope (from all)

Progress on scheduling next F2F

   <dom> ACTION: Carmelo to check if NIST can host a meeting in May
   [recorded in [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action09]

   <dom> [21]http://www.w3.org/2007/01/30-mwts-minutes.html#action12]

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2007/01/30-mwts-minutes.html#action12

   Carmelo - Not check on it yet

   Till - May will be hard, but can do it later this year

   Till - Mid of June can work for them

   Dom - June would be too early if we have a F2F in May, but thanks
   for the offer to host later this year

   Allen - May may be possible, but the Java conference is on 2nd weekd
   of may

   Allen - 1st week of may works

   <dom> ACTION: Dom to figure out his availabilities in May [recorded
   in [22]http://www.w3.org/2007/01/30-mwts-minutes.html#action11]

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2007/01/30-mwts-minutes.html#action11

   Dom - To check his own availability

   <dom> ACTION: Dom to set up a questionnaire on setting up a meeting
   in May [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action11]

Teleconf

   Dom - Away next week

   Carmeo to send agenda and chair the meeting

   Dom - Any scribe for next week?

   Carmelo to identify a scribe perhaps he can do it

   Andrea will not be around next week

   Carmelo- Lets touch down on Friday

   and make a decision then

   <dom> [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Carmelo to check if NIST can host a meeting in May
   [recorded in [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action09]
   [NEW] ACTION: Carmelo to run the DOM and CSS test suites on his
   phone [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Carmelo to send his multi-test suite cataloguing
   system to the mailing list [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: Carmelo to take a closer look at CSS for coverage
   [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: Dmitri to take SVG [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2007/01/30-mwts-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Dmitri to try and see if he can run one of the test
   suites on his development board [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Dom to figure out his availabilities in May [recorded
   in [30]http://www.w3.org/2007/01/30-mwts-minutes.html#action11]
   [NEW] ACTION: Dom to get feedback on the open test suite on
   authoring practices from content developers [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: Dom to run DOM and CSS test suites on his phones
   [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Dom to set up a questionnaire on setting up a meeting
   in May [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action11]
   [NEW] ACTION: Till to run the CSS Test suite on his phone [recorded
   in [34]http://www.w3.org/2007/02/06-mwts-minutes.html#action04]

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2007/01/30-mwts-minutes.html#action05
     [30] http://www.w3.org/2007/01/30-mwts-minutes.html#action11

   [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 8 February 2007 10:24:43 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:13:07 GMT