Automation of DOM Test suite (was: Progress on test harness)

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:40:01 +0200
To: Till Halbach <tillh@opera.com>
Cc: public-mwts@w3.org

Hi Till,

Le mardi 03 avril 2007 à 14:14 +0200, Till Halbach a écrit :
> It would be of advantage to allow for automatic testing, such that a test
> suite can be run autonomously. My approach uses JavaScript for that.
> The form element inserted by the harness would need a name, e.g. <form
> name="testevaluation">. Then any script can trigger the result submission
> by itself. [...]

I have started implementing your solution in the DOM Level 1 test suite:
http://www.w3.org/2007/03/dom-tests/documentgetdoctypenodtd.html

It works great in Firefox, but it doesn't in Opera nor in the mobile web
browsers I can try and that do support some Javascript (namely, Blazer
and Netfront); could you try and see whether you get it to work on your
devices/browsers?

Also, if you have any idea of how to improve it to make it work in as
many browsers as possible that would be great.

That said, even if the automation doesn't work reliably, at least we can
now navigate and record the results using the test harness, which is
already a progress in itself, I believe.

Dom