Re: business models

Hi, Nicolas - nice to hear from you.   See below...

On Jan 12, 2010, at 6:13 AM, Chevrollier, N.G. (Nicolas) wrote:

> Dear Katrin,
>
> Thanks for sharing this. You mentioned that to scale access and
> affordability are key. The 4As of Prahalad include Acceptability and
> Awareness as other dimensions (they would fall under “utility and
> user needs” that you mentioned). I think this is also key to our
> field. What are the strategies to make this happen (e.g., co-
> creation with the end-users, partnership)? Furthermore, to expand on
> the section Ecosystem of partners or value chain and new business
> models is what we should be after as well.

Agree.  I like those four - I mention awareness (there is a lot of
data on the fact that users are not aware of available services even
if they are affordable and of value to the user) but only in passing.
I think VALUE is the better term for 'acceptability', though (even if
it does not start with an A ;).  Many of the NGO-led projects I am
seeing are not demand-driven or do not provide a clear value to the
user at the price point they are offered. The ones that are scaling
rapidly (in South Africa, India, and Kenya/East Africa, namely) that
we should look much more deeply into ARE, in fact, highly user-centric
and demand-driven and constantly adjusted to provide clear value to
the users, in various and different ways. Teasing that apart would be
very useful.

In regard to expanding this: I had to limit myself to ten pages for
this paper so was constrained in having to condense A LOT that can be
extrapolated upon!   I am keen on getting much deeper into the value
chain, eco system, and what business models we are seeing in the M4D
space (which, of course, is the area of ICT4D I am most interested in)
than the limitations of this paper permitted. I  really tried to hit
the key points there but MUCH more to say on each of these, for sure!

> For instance, the report that you site “Frandano, A. K. M. K. P.
> (2009, March). Emerging markets, emerging models. Monitor Group.” is
> also a good starting point. They present 7 business models that we
> could try to apply to the field of M4D/ICT4D but overall the report
> is not dedicated to ICT and focus mostly on India so we could
> definitely expand it.

Yes - agree, though some will not apply so we would have to be more
creative and expansive here to not try to fit this in too-narrow a
mold but actually take a close look at the projects that ARE, in fact
scaling and then derive at more of a theoretical underpinning. I am a
big believer in letting the practice drive the theory rather than the
other way round :)

Katrin