RE: business models

Hi Stephane, Renjish, all,

As I wrote early on, In other sectors, studies of business models at the
BoP have been performed. http://www.hystra.com/opensource/energy.html It
lists a number of possible business models in the energy sector and
evaluates whether they reach the intended impact, their potential of
scaling and whether they are sustainable.

To do such a study, you need criteria of evaluation of course. Both UNDP
and WBSCD gave some hints on how to do this in their presentation on
Monday morning
(http://www.bopimpact.nl/Impact_of_BoP_Ventures/Downloads.html). You can
also find some on slide 11 of this presentation
(http://www.slideshare.net/anandsheombar/presentation-it-mncs-and-the-bo
p-for-tno-it4d-group-december-2009-2732542) but we should refine it to
capture further the specificities of our field.

Monitor group has also issued a study on business models at the BoP (for
India only). Some examples are in the ICT domain.

To classify business model into non-commercial and commercial is a bit
tricky as in the "ecosystem relations" or value chain, there could be
both entities I reckon. What is important up front is what you want to
maximize e.g., profit, social impact.

Best,

Nicolas

On