Re: http://www.w3.org/2008/02/MS4D_WS/papers/unicef-w3c-presentation.html

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Stephane Boyera <boyera@w3.org> wrote:
> twitter is one example. another example: ushahidi http://www.ushahidi.com/
> this is clearly a web-sms integration, but not having something like http
> like protocol.

Sure there are Web applications with SMS integration. However, the
principle of the Web is to be addressable by URIs.
http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#identification

When the thehindu.com is advertised from bill boards in India how do
people with only SMS phones find the news headlines?

Are they expected to sign up to twitter and start tracking an
"thehindu" twitter stream? That's far too centralised, convoluted and
frankly dangerous.

If we can promote and educate people with the value of URIs, by asking
operators to setup "standard" Web SMS gateways, the Web could have a
foot in the door in developing markets.

Otherwise, what are we going to? Promote Web applications that have
inconsistent SMS interfaces? That sounds ridiculous to me.