Re: Determining MW4D Core Values

Hi Ken,

Thank you for putting in front of us the very concise, well organized
document "core values and assumptions".  You have a special talent of being
able to use graphical images to capture the essence of complex ideas.  I
found this very helpful to my thinking.

I am writing primarily to raise a caution however.  There has been much
stated within e-mail threads of this group on the importance of being
focused and very clear on intended outcomes, target audience and technology
assumptions if we are to get a useful result in the end.  While I completely
agree with this position, it is also important, in my personal view, that we
leave enough ambiguity to allow the group to imagine a world that is not
constrained completely by "what is available today".  Specifically, we need
to be careful of the risk of "technocentrism".   There is of course a
balance because we do need a practical result, and I am NOT suggesting we
keep this wide open.

 The specific amendment I offer to the "Today's Technology" value:

"While practical solutions and analysis should be grounded within the
technologies--hardware, software and connectivity--widely available to
people in underserved communities today--they also should anticipate and not
constrain future technological advances which may be even more beneficial."

As illustration of this value proposition...by definition, a "mobile phone"
is a mobile communication device" optimized first for voice communication
and adapted for broader digital purposes through capability to access the
Web.   While this provides a benefit of practical focus, as you accurately
state that mobile phones are the devices primarily on the ground today, but
in my personal view a limiting (perhaps technocentric) constraint that could
reduce the options we consider more than needed.  Specifically, I personally
envision the end-game solution as a mobile network that includes many
devices (depending on user context), early on dominated by mobile phones,
but over time with a broader group of mobile devices that are optimized
primarily for accessing the Web.  I can not necessarily name these devices
because perhaps they have not yet been invented.  But my point here is that
in our quest to produce a "practical" outcome, we should be careful our
definitions to not constrain our imagined future.

bill