Re: A copyist's perspective

On Wed, April 5, 2017 8:35 am, James Ingram wrote:
> Detailed Temporal Information (relevant to Performance Practice):
> Thus far, the only temporal information I've mentioned relates to the
> order in which <system>s or <event>s are played. That's just a simple
> before-after relationship.

I don't think you mention parallel but unsynchronized elements. The easiest
example is "In C" -- the score is graphically simple, but the performance is
not. Is this kind of score a special case? Your 'arrow of time' always moves
forward, but the events loop at different times. Is this a case where the
graphical score must be unhooked from a performance because each performance
is very different?

I'm confused by the idea of temporal information having a role in notation at
all.

Please ignore this if my question misperceives the issues.

Dennis