Re: recent heavy activity -- intonation markings

William wrote:

> =================
> Group 1
> Custom accidentals to include just intonation inflections; comma means
> here a syntonic comma, or comma of Didymus, approximately 22 cents.
> These should be different than quarter tone accidentals.
>
> Sharp with intonation lowered a comma
> Flat with intonation raised a comma
> Natural with intonation lowered a comma
> Natural with intonation raised a comma
>
> I have not found a sharp with intonation raised to be necessary, nor a
> flat with intonation lowered -- however, the proponents of what is
> called expressive intonation in string playing do use raised sharps and
> lowered flats by small intervals other than commas.

If you're asking for support for microtonal accidentals in SMuFL, we
already have the Extended Helmholtz-Ellis Just Intonation notation system
and the Sagittal system fully encoded. Please check these ranges out:

https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/extended-helmholtz-ellis-accidentals-just-intonation.html
https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/spartan-sagittal-single-shaft-accidentals.html
(et al.)

If you have specific requests that are not met by the existing accidental
systems included in SMuFL, please formulate a specific proposal and create
an issue for it in GitHub in the SMuFL project:

https://github.com/w3c/smufl/issues

Proposals that are complete with the full ranges of glyphs to be included
(including names, descriptions, and visual references), plus bibliographic
references to publications that use them (e.g. works by specific
composers, or reference texts discussing their use and meaning) can be
actioned more quickly and easily.

Although there are no formal criteria for what makes a glyph or range of
glyphs suitable for inclusion in SMuFL, consider whether or not the glyphs
are already widely used (i.e. appearing in more than one publication, from
more than one composer, and preferably over some period of time), and
already considered standardised (even if within only one niche of music
practice).

> Group 2
>
> Intonation markings to attach to and be placed over or under a
> notehead:    raised comma, raised two commas, lowered comma, lowered two

> commas.

I don't believe we have encoded these kinds of glyphs as yet. Again, a
formal proposal containing a complete description of the system proposed,
together with references for where this system has already been put into
widespread use, would be required before we could consider adding such
glyphs to SMuFL.

Thanks!

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Hiroshi Sasaki, Hirofumi Osawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534