Re: idValue requirement updated

Hi Yves,
This solution seems to rely on the XML schema having specific
cardinalities, so it will only work with certain classes of element
structure, is that right? For example, this approach would not work in
your example if the cardinality of the text and desc element within the
msg element was not exactly 1.

Did you consider just inserting an id for elements that do not already
have an id in the source. Obviously this impacts on the structure of the
document, but we could control that by using an id value convention that
allows you to distinguish 'native' id from any id added by ITS
processes, e.g. id="its-12345" from id="12345". This way the added its
ids can be reliably stripped once they are no longer needed, leaving the
original source ids (which may have other, nonlocalsiation requirements)
intact?

This would still minimise impact on the source document, while allowing
such an id to be used more universally through the document, including
down to the segment level with new spans if needed.

So you example would be:

-->original source content
<doc>
  <msg name="id1">
   <text>Content of text</text>
   <desc>Context of desc</desc>
  </msg>
</doc>

-->  with its markup
<doc>
  <msg name="id1">
   <text id="its-12345">Content of text</text>
   <desc id="its-12346">Context of desc</desc>
  </msg>
</doc>

-->  Corresponding XLIFF output:

<trans-unit id='1' resname='its-12345'>