Re: Resolution proposal for ISSUE-2

On 3/22/2012 2:11 PM, Felix Sasaki wrote:

> Am 22. März 2012 13:52 schrieb Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz
> <mailto:jirka@kosek.cz>>:
>
>     On 22.3.2012 13:09, Felix Sasaki wrote:
>
>     > Solution 1) will be user friendly, and we will define an RELAX
>     NG schema
>     > HTML5+ITS (or + XYZ). The same approach has been taken for Aria
>     in the
>     > accessibility space, and Aria is now even part of the HTML5 core
>     language.
>     >
>     > Comments are very welcome. I hope we can agree on during next
>     week's call
>     > and find a volunteer for maintaining the schema and another one
>     for the
>     > mappings.
>
>     I volunteer for creating and maintaining schema.
>

> Great, thanks a lot.
>

>     > Regarding the "URIs for element nodes in HTML5" discussion: Ivan
>     said that
>     > our group should consider whether this is really an issue.
>
>     I would expected more positioned reply from SW activity lead :-)
>

> Well, to be fair, he was more precise:
>
> "RDFa does not include any definition, as far as the extracted RDF is
> concerned, on pointing 'back' to the original source structure. This
> should be done explicitly. I am not sure whether this is a major
> issue, this is something for the group to consider..."
>
> But the essence is the same: is it important for us?

Some things to add (and to shed some light on ACTION-32):

I think it's important to define a way to do it, but not have it
obligatory to serialize because it has zero utility until someone
actually uses it in pure RDF. The thing is, as long as the HTML document
is available and the RDFa is inlined, the references to the HTML
structure in RDF don't add any additional information and can be
trivially reconstructed. RDFa consumption tools can likely handle that
kind of content as-is.

The tricky case is if someone at some point wants to get pure RDF from
this (dropping the HTML in the process), we should have some
specification that they could follow to achieve these references. The
use case I can think of is feeding ITS-marked-up input into a NLP
pipeline running on something like NIF, which needs URIs for annotated
fragments of text. Luckily the conversion itself is pretty mechanical,
so I see some strategies for minting URIs that can be dereferenceable
directly to the fragment:
* have the RDF node point back to the HTML element's id, if there is any
(<meta property="its:annotates" resource="#id_myElement_bar" />)
* have the RDF node mint a URI for the fragment using one if the NIF
recipes (<meta property="its:annotates"
resource="#hash_1_3_12341234123412341_bar" />)

A question for people consuming RDF/RDFa - is defining this sort of "URI
generation recipe" at the RDFa consumption stage breaking too many
assumptions? I'd like to avoid having producers generate redundant data.

.. and back to answering "how much RDF do we need"?
My reason for considering RDFa was to encode the additional information
we might have about the concepts that are behind the text. Right now the
most important uses are:
- the URI of the concept (the "means " relation);
- the type URI of the concept (see ISSUE-3) (the "this fragment
represents a concept of the type" relation);
- the labels of the concept in other languages;

Since we can model those via the proposed data categories, we don't need
explicit RDF support to represent this - it is however very important
that these predicates can point to URIs in the RDF space (as is
currently the case with its:termInfoRef, for instance), and that we at
least have a process in place for transforming "HTML5+ITS" into
HTML5/RDFa , /Microdata, or /RDFa Lite. Right now the examples you
submitted look good for that purpose, adding an HTML URI generator
should cover that part.

-- Tadej