RE: Missing requirment - content format/type

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:45:16 -0600
To: "'David Lewis'" <delewis@cs.tcd.ie>, "'Arle Lommel'" <arle.lommel@dfki.de>
CC: <public-multilingualweb-lt@w3.org>
Hi Dave, Arle,

> ...Is it also conceivable that we could have document
> that mix host format and ITS markup formats?
> How much can we build on mime here?

MIME gives us the common way to specify a single format type.
Maybe we need some composite form of this for the cases with complex content (e.g. a hierarchy of MIME types). In some cases the embedded format could be declared inside the parent content too.
No matter how we address the "multiple formats" aspect we'll always have to refer to single format type at some level.

>> Format type though is something different. The examples
>> given (e.g., subtitles, spoken text)  seem to indicate
>> its more a specification of the intended delivery modality.
>
> formatType wasn't from me. It was in the original requirements
> doc, IIRC, and I just ported it over. It was not always clear
> where things came from.
> I do think, however, that your description of formatType is correct:
> it was designed to convey something to the translator (who might
> see only an XML file) something about the intended destination
> at the end of the process.

Like if the text to translate is a caption, a button, a menu label?
It seems formatType would then be some sort of 'type of resource', like the restype of XLIFF.
If not, it would be closer to the context data category.

-ys