XPath Version

From: Shaun McCance <shaunm@gnome.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:11:59 -0400
To: public-multilingualweb-lt@w3.org
What version of XPath will be used for ITS 2.0? ITS 1.0 says "The
selector attribute contains an AbsoluteLocationPath as described
in XPath 1.0 or its successor."

http://www.w3.org/TR/its/#datacategory-locations

But XPath 2.0 isn't entirely backwards compatible with XPath 1.0.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#id-backwards-compatibility

I suppose new standards probably ought to use the newest version.
But XPath 2.0 is considerably more difficult to implement, and a
full implementation requires an XSD implementation. 2.0 isn't as
widely implemented as 1.0, and requiring it could hurt adoption.

Sorry if this has been discussed already. I didn't see anything
on the wiki pages.

--
Shaun