Re: Proceeding with [Core] via email discussion (Was Re: Postponed beginning for [Education], agenda for [Core])

On December 26, 2014 at 9:29:22 PM, Crispin Weston (crispin.weston@saltis.org) wrote:
> > My proposal is therefore for better schema description languages
> (probably building on existing ones) that allow individual
> innovators to publish their data models & APIs in ways that promote
> the easier sharing of data definitions and better mapping between
> fields in different schemas.

Just to brainstorm a bit, would something like schema.org work? Maybe then once they become recognized defacto-standards, they could be brought to the W3C (under some kind of schemas/data-formats activity?). This would be nice, because it would give government agencies the assurance they seek by having some kind of recognized standards org. backing the schema. The again, there might already be a suitable standards body for the education sector through which such schemas could be standardized?

> This would, I suggest, allow innovative
> standards to emerge organically as implementers choose, one
> by one, to share the same definitions, rather than by formal discussions
> in the digital equivalent of smoke-filled rooms, hammering
> out a single specification.

Would be nice to have something organic like on github - where the schemas could go organically over time.

> But I suspect that the route for such a proposal needs to lead through
> the education group and then back again to Core - when the proposal
> has been better defined.

Agree. Sounds interesting nonetheless.