Re: Proceeding with [Core] via email discussion (Was Re: Postponed beginning for [Education], agenda for [Core])

Dear Marcos & Jeffe,

Many thanks for your replies. It sounds as if I am more interested in the education group in January - in which case, forgive my premature posting of thoughts to the Core group.

To clarify my education requirement in response to Marcos' email, you are right that I am not asking for new data formats - those we already have are sufficient. The problem for education lies in the lack of common data models. As you say, the recognised way to address this issue in W3C would be to set up a community group. This could happen at the moment but, with a few very marginal exceptions, it doesn't.

I think part of this problem has to do with community dynamics in sectors that are effectively run by government agencies. Standards tend to be imposed by government procurement exercises, which give undue weight to officially recognised but often very conservative specifications, suppressing innovation. And even in more dynamic sectors, I imagine that there is always a tension between the need for innovation and the need to achieve community consensus.

My proposal is therefore for better schema description languages (probably building on existing ones) that allow individual innovators to publish their data models & APIs in ways that promote the easier sharing of data definitions and better mapping between fields in different schemas. This would, I suggest, allow innovative standards to emerge organically as implementers choose, one by one, to share the same definitions, rather than by formal discussions in the digital equivalent of smoke-filled rooms, hammering out a single specification.
But I suspect that the route for such a proposal needs to lead through the education group and then back again to Core - when the proposal has been better defined.

Thanks again,
Crispin