what statistical data supports gif and jpeg to be the chosen image formats?

From: Johannes Hertz <johannes.hertz@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:08:48 +0200
To: public-mobileok-checker@w3.org
What is the statistical data behind decision to recommend GIF and JPEG to be
the only allowed formats in Mobile OK sites? For me (being a mobile
developer since 1996) it doesn't seem to be based on any factual statistics.
How old browsers are you referring to? I am under the impression that
majority of the mobile browsers support at least PNG-8. Also for example
J2ME MIDP2.0 specs say that PNG is always supported and JPEG + GIF
optionally so it is kinda ridiculous to support PNG in Java and leave it out
in the browser.
Yours,
J. Hertz