WAI work on mobile accessibility [was: Self-introduction]

Hi all,
Comments below.

On 9/20/2012 10:39 AM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Hi Nacho,
>
> Thanks for kickstarting the discussions!
>
> Le jeudi 20 septembre 2012 à 16:12 +0200, Ignacio Marin a écrit :
>> After this intro, it is time to start with some action. The first
>> action may be members introducing themselves and commenting their
>> expectations about this Community Group.
>
> I joined this group to learn more about where we are in accessibility on
> mobile, what needs to happen. I have also a personal interest in
> understanding where mobile browsers stand in implementing some of the
> accessibility specs, in particular WAI ARIA (on which I have found only
> very limited information so far).

WAI has started a project on this. The Accessibility Support Database (part of the WAI-ACT project)[1] will provide information on accessibility support in web technologies, including mobile platforms and WAI-ARIA implementation. It's still in the planning stage right now. If you want to get announcements on this, see http://www.w3.org/WAI/about/announcements.php

> If we do get people to react to these introduction messages :), I think
> it would be useful to find someone interested in animating the
> discussions and maybe writing up a somewhat more formal description of
> our work to ensure productive work.

WAI has increased concentration in mobile accessibility work recently. See the e-mail below for new and updated info online. (I should have thought to send it to this list as well.)

See particularly the list of what WAI is currently working on at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/Overview.html#more>, which includes "Guidance for developers - This may be WCAG Techniques for Mobile Application, or a Guide on Applying WCAG and UAAG in the Mobile Environment."

We will keep you posted as more concrete ideas develop.

Best,
~Shawn

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ACT/deliverables#axs_support