Re: Advice on mobile website development

Hi Andrew,

Andrew wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in learning more about developing websites for mobile
> devices. However, I am fairly new to website building in general. I am
> looking for advice on whether it would be better for me to become more
> familiar with building full version websites before diving into mobile
> versions or if it would be easier/more beneficial to learn both at the
> same time.

The "full" version of a Web site can already be a great "mobile"
version, so it certainly makes sense to learn both at the same time. I
don't quite expect it to be easier, I'm afraid. The technologies are the
same, but the mobile world adds a few constraints at first.

Getting to know the specificities of the mobile world means that you
will have them in mind when you develop your Web site. In turn, this
means that, without especially targeting mobile devices (but then, why
close the door when it can be left open?), the resulting Web site will
still be usable on a mobile device. It may not be perfect, but that
would already be a good start.

You are then certainly encouraged to optimize the Web site for mobile
consumption and to develop specific mobile versions of the Web site that
are different from the full version to provide a great user experience
on mobile devices that focuses on functionalities users may need when
they are on the go.

If you stick to a "full version" website in the beginning, you are
likely to end up with a Web site that won't display well or won't
display at all on most mobile devices. You would then have to start
again, nearly from scratch, to create a mobile-friendly version of the
site (or to use adaptation engines that you can find here and there on
the Web, but I'm taking for granted that you are actually willing to
learn about how to do things by yourself).

Francois.