Re: MATF Agenda Thursday, December 6 and HEADS UP

Adding a few thoughts to Detlev's rundown:

On 06/12/2018 14:45, Detlev Fischer wrote:
> My quick feedback before the meeting (sorry for not being able to attend
> the last two):
>
> *Target size for mobile/tablet screen size - targets must not be smaller
> than X*
> DF: I envisage the same endless discussions we had in the gestation of
> this SC during 2.1- not looking forward to enter that again. I think it
> could live on as AAA SC and best practice

Agree. The situation hasn't changed - it's still impossible for authors
to accurately define a particular physical size, and one of the big
problems I recall we had was that we needed to come up with various
contortions to allow for situations where not all actionable target
sizes needed to meet minimum size (a la "if it's part of a paragraph"
etc). Fundamentally, the problem as I see it is that even the guidelines
from Google, Microsoft, Apple only suggest/recommend minimum sizes, and
then usually temper this further by suggesting only
"important"/"primary" controls need to follow this. And that's too vague
for a binary pass/fail testable assertion.

If there's scope for less binary, and more nuanced, criteria in future,
then sure this can be revisited.

> *Spacing between touch targets - set a minimum number of pixels between
> targets*
> DF: I see this as closely related to the above - what is now 2.5.5
> Target Size - huge targets don't really need space between them, small
> ones certainly do... Not sure this deserves a separate SC, but worth
> discussing.

I think at some point we discussed a minimum distance between the center
points of adjacent targets (note: not just "touch" targets, let's not
fall back into that trap). This may circumvent the more fiddly problem
of saying "if they're small, they need a gap; if they're large, they may
not".

> *Provide clear indication that elements are actionable*
> DF: I see losts of grey areas rising up here, menacing like ghouls from
> a morass - it's related to conventions (e.g. "blocks with rounded
> outlines are buttons"; "little triangles change table sorting order or
> open drop-downs" etc.) and these are subject to change and difficult to
> pin down

Agree. It either becomes very vague (similar to the "visible" indication
of focus in 2.0...which we're still debating to this day), or overly
specific/restrictive (which would lead to authors/designers summarily
ignoring this).

> *Concurrent Mechanisms 2.1*
> DF: From Kim's text I do not fully understand the issue - worries me if
> I think of testing..
>
> *Motion Actuation 2.1*
> DF: Should we not tacle this when there are clear use cases that other
> sensor input excludes certain users? All examples I have heard so far
> are either motion or orientation-related or not really applicabe
> (temperature, position, step sensor etc.) Any examples?
>
> *Different content when portrait / landscape so user can miss out on
> content , this is not about same content adjusted by reflow (TPAC
> discussion)*
> DF: This could be a problem for all - i.e. no specific accessibility issue?

If particular content/functionality is only available in one
orientation, or only through requiring users to change rotation, then
users with hard-mounted devices will be affected more (the rationale for
the current orientation SC).

> *Indication of gestures with e.g. icons, touch and/or device movements*
> DF: I do not understand this (was not part of the discussion)

This goes dangerously, in my view, into mandating particular
iconography/design. Similar to COGA's attempt at standardising icons at
some point? I think this would overreach a bit into mandating a specific
design (and, as above, would risk alienating developers/designers).

> *Focussed elements disappearing under sticky headers/footers*
> DF: Is the idea to outlaw sticky headers? Even though I stongly dislike
> them they can have advantages too, so this is a tradeoff. But there may
> be clever way to ensure focus is always vissible (with JS setting
> scrolling) - sounds a bit hacky to me

Isn't this sort of scenario already covered by focus visible? At least
that's usually where I've filed this sort of issue (i.e. "due to the
sticky header, when users navigate to X, their focus is behind the
sticky header and thus not visible").