Re: MATF Agenda Thursday, December 6 and HEADS UP

My quick feedback before the meeting (sorry for not being able to attend
the last two):

*Target size for mobile/tablet screen size - targets must not be smaller
than X*
DF: I envisage the same endless discussions we had in the gestation of
this SC during 2.1- not looking forward to enter that again. I think it
could live on as AAA SC and best practice

*Spacing between touch targets - set a minimum number of pixels between
targets*
DF: I see this as closely related to the above - what is now 2.5.5
Target Size - huge targets don't really need space between them, small
ones certainly do... Not sure this deserves a separate SC, but worth
discussing.

*Provide clear indication that elements are actionable*
DF: I see losts of grey areas rising up here, menacing like ghouls from
a morass - it's related to conventions (e.g. "blocks with rounded
outlines are buttons"; "little triangles change table sorting order or
open drop-downs" etc.) and these are subject to change and difficult to
pin down

*Concurrent Mechanisms 2.1*
DF: From Kim's text I do not fully understand the issue - worries me if
I think of testing..

*Motion Actuation 2.1*
DF: Should we not tacle this when there are clear use cases that other
sensor input excludes certain users? All examples I have heard so far
are either motion or orientation-related or not really applicabe
(temperature, position, step sensor etc.) Any examples?

*Different content when portrait / landscape so user can miss out on
content , this is not about same content adjusted by reflow (TPAC
discussion)*
DF: This could be a problem for all - i.e. no specific accessibility issue?

*Indication of gestures with e.g. icons, touch and/or device movements*
DF: I do not understand this (was not part of the discussion)

*Focussed elements disappearing under sticky headers/footers*
DF: Is the idea to outlaw sticky headers? Even though I stongly dislike
them they can have advantages too, so this is a tradeoff. But there may
be clever way to ensure focus is always vissible (with JS setting
scrolling) - sounds a bit hacky to me

*Focus management when zooming / rotating / deleting elements*
DF: I see the case but this sounds very specific - I would clearly
separate good practices for handling focus when inserting / deleting
elements, from aspects related to zooming and the kicking in of
different CSS through media queries

*Custom gestures not preserving default / breaking touch*
DF: haven't the time before meeting to look that up no - not clear I
understand

*carousel example, not clear ING, buttons / slides etc., roledescription*
DF: Are you calling fo a role=carousel with sub-roles for browse
buttons, dot indices etc? You'd hope developers would soon forget about
this element...

Don't quite understand the rest.. will try to catch up!
Detlev

--
Detlev Fischer
Testkreis

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites

---