Re: What to do about newlines in attribute values?

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote:

> It is just that #10, #13 and #10#13 pairs are normalized to a single #10
> in element content and #32 in attribute values. That isn't ___so__ bad.

I really don't buy the idea that XML's line normalization somehow makes
attribute value normalization less awful.

Uniformly normalizing platform-dependent line-endings to LF is in my view a
good thing, which isn't surprising and has lots of precedent.

Attribute value normalization is totally different:

- it's treating attribute values differently from character data

- it's corrupting data, by turning line-endings into a completely unrelated
character

- I can't think of any precedent; it's huge gotcha for anybody unfamiliar
with XML

Attribute value normalization would probably get my vote for the ugliest
thing in XML.

James