Fwd: List-Id: for filtering mail from W3C lists

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:09:20 +0200
To: Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
FYI

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: List-Id: for filtering mail from W3C lists
Date de renvoi : Thu, 27 Oct 2011 23:28:55 +0000
De (renvoi) : system-notices@w3.org
Date : Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:20:09 -0700
De : Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@w3.org>
Pour : system-notices@w3.org

Today we made a change to our mailing list software that may impact
how people filter mail from our lists; for more info please see:

http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2011/10/27/list-id-for-filtering-mail/

Here is a text version:

    There are a number of email message headers that people may use to
    filter messages from W3C lists. The best header to use for this
    purpose is List-Id: (specified in RFC 2919[1]), because this header
    is intended to remain constant throughout the lifetime of a list.

      [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2919

    Using other headers to filter mail from our lists may not work as
    reliably, because the headers may change when we make changes to our
    email infrastucture or mailing list software.

    Today we made a change to our list software to cause it to stop
    generating Sender: headers, because doing so was causing DKIM[2]
    signatures to fail in some cases, resulting in messages bouncing and
    people being removed from our mailing lists.

      [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys_Identified_Mail

    If your email filters were based on the Sender header, please update
    them to use List-Id instead, as this will provide a more reliable
    and future-proof means of filtering.

    We have a wiki page that provides info on how to filter messages
    based on List-Id in various email clients[3]; additions welcome!

      [3]
http://www.w3.org/2006/tools/wiki/EmailClientForMailingListFiltering

--
Gerald Oskoboiny     http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/