Re: [whatwg] HTML5 video: frame accuracy / SMPTE

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:18:11 +0100
To: "Jack Jansen" <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>, Raphaël Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Cc: "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, "Media Fragment" <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:29:37 +0100, Raphaël Troncy
<raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr> wrote:

> Dear Silvia,
>
> Le 10/01/2011 13:05, Jack Jansen a écrit :
>> It's definitely worth it to put a link to our work in that thread. AT
>> THE very least it should get us some reviewers of shag we've edited
>> down on frame accurate addressing...
>
> Thanks for pointing us this (now long) thread. I have just read it
> completely. For the others, the main point of discussion is about video
> editors and producers who want frame access to video and browsers who
> say that container formats such as WebM do not have a fixed frame rate
> (FPS) and therefore cannot expose it in the API. No mention of Media
> Fragments has been done yet.
>
> Silvia, could you please reply that Media Fragments allows to access to
> a SMPTE time code? I think the best place is to answer this mail from
> Philip
> http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2011-January/029803.html
> who has suggested to add an attribute to the video element exposing the
> (virtual) framerate.

To be clear, I haven't suggested exposing the frame rate, I was arguing
against it.

This is related to our discussion on the SMPTE format in Media Fragments,
which I've stated I don't think we'll ever implement as it doesn't work
with our most important format, WebM.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer