Re: Percent encoding

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:39:32 +0100
To: Philip Jšgenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
CC: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>
Dear Philip,

> Perhaps YouTube decodes first and splits last, or perhaps they just use
> a regexp to find v=XXXXX anywhere. Whatever is the case with YouTube, I
> assume we want to match as closely as possible how query strings works
> in e.g. ASP, PHP, JSP and Perl CGI, or there is no benefit in using
> something that resembles query strings.
>
> We can never be 100% compatible, for reasons listed in a note after
> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/WD-media-fragments-spec/#decode-a-percent-encoded-string

Thanks, the note is indeed really useful. For all the following
statements, do you think it is possible to indicate a suitable reference?
     *  "&" is the only primary separator for name-value pairs, but some
server-side languages also treat ";" as a separator.
     * name-value pairs with invalid percent-encoding should be ignored,
but some server-side languages silently mask such errors.
     * The "+" character should not be treated specially, but some
server-side languages replace it with a space (" ") character.
     * Multiple occurrences of the same name must be preserved, but some
server-side languages only preserve the last occurrence.