HTTP Status Code for TC returning EMPTY

From: Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 18:16:39 +0100
To: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>

As of my ACTION-81 I'd like to ask you (given your HTTPbis background),
what's your take on the HTTP status code to be returned for the EMPTY case?

Is this, in your opinion, a client error situation (4xx class) or should we
handle it as Ok with no content (204)? Can you give us some evidence from
your experience how the candidates (406/416 and 204 on the other hand) are
used in the wild in order to asses if there are potential clashes?

[1] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/wiki/TestCasesDiscussion

Dr. Michael Hausenblas
National University of Ireland, Lower Dangan,
Galway, Ireland, Europe
Tel. +353 91 495730