Re: Review of 'Use Cases and Requirements for Ontology and API for Media Object 1.0', Working Draft 19 January 2009

Felix,

Most of the stuff seems sorted, thanks. Remaining points inline:

> I think that the paragraph
> "An important aspect of the above figure is that everything visualized
> above the API is left to applications, like: languages for simple or
> complex queries, analysis of user preferences (like "preferring movies
> with actor X and suitable for children"), or other mechanisms for
> accessing metadata. The ontology and the API provide merely a basic,
> simple means of interoperability for such applications."
> Tries to answer some of your questions.

Some, yes ;)

Seriously, I *think* it would be good to have the ontology as the primary
model and derive the API from it (automagically?) if possible. I must admit
that I still didn't entirely grok how these two things play together. Assume
for a second that I'm a total noob - how'd you explain that in some simple
language?

>> + Regarding '6.7 Requirement r07: Introducing several abstraction levels in
>> the ontology' I'd say this is an absolute must.
>
> Do you have any existing implemention we could look at to be able to
> judge the efforts of this?

Well, yes, I guess so, see [1] and [2]; its from the audio domain and the
chap behind it, Yves Raimond, is lurking here around as well, so he may be
able to chip in ;)

Mostly I'd recommend to focus on FRBR [3], but I guess the real expert is
actually Yves. Ah, I'll CC him and see what happens ...

>> + the TOC is not well-formatted, although pubrule-checker [2] seems not to
>> complain - rather use use <ol> and <li>
>>
> mm ... I checked
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-media-annot-req
> s-20090119/
> and did not see any problems. Could you point me to the markup part
> which you think has a problem?

Well, true. As I said. It's perfectly *valid*, it's about the markup you are
using (list rather <p> + <br/>) ...

> I did not see any comments on the requirements which I think are the
> most important "message" of the WD. Do you think these need a revision
> or are stable?

Seems pretty stable, beside my comments ;)

Cheers,
      Michael

[1]
http://wiki.musicontology.com/index.php/Structural_annotations_of_%22Can%27t
_buy_me_love%22_by_the_Beatles
[2] http://dbtune.org/henry/
[3] http://www.loc.gov/cds/downloads/FRBR.PDF

--
Dr. Michael Hausenblas
National University of Ireland, Lower Dangan,