Identifying vs Describing media URI fragments

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:50:33 +0200
To: Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
CC: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>

Dear all,

I would like to start a discussion on this topic that could further
precises the scope of a media URI fragment specification. I would
distinguish the identification versus the description of a media URI
fragment.

The identification refers to the syntax with which we construct a
fragment URI. The description refers to the semantics of this fragment.
Silvia proposed in the Media Annotation UC [1] the possibility to label
a fragment (e.g. the kiss scene) for being able to refer to. Is this
label still an identification of the fragment or a description? Do we
consider that describing a media fragment is out of scope of this WG?

   RaphaŽl

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/wiki/Use_Cases_%26_Requirements