Re: Ideal? (was Re: WebIDL-compatible syntax compromise)

On Apr 2, 2014, at 2:05 PM, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:

> On 2014-04-02 18:23, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

>>> This is no worse than in the existing spec, but yes, you probably hit
>>> the simplest need for advanced right there, since we can't write:
>>>
>>> var constraints = {
>>>    required: "width",
>>>    width: {min: 230, max: 1024},
>>>    width: 640, // error: object property repeat!
>>> };
>>>
>>> Would people be open to (re)consider the 'ideal' extension?
>>>
>>> var constraints = {
>>>    required: "width",
>>>    width: {min: 230, max: 1024, ideal: 640},
>>> };
>>
>> I'd be open to reconsidering that once we've declared consensus for a
>> single proposal and put it into the document..... I see some nice things
>> about "ideal", but regard it as a separable concern.
>
> +1 to both statements.

I'd rather first discuss special values for all range properties of "highestPossible", "lowestPossible", or something similar, as suggested by Sylvia at TPAC.  Again, though, that can wait for consensus on the current compromise constraint proposal.

-- dan