Re: Proposal for output device selection

The users will be best served if they can access an UA specifically
addressing what they want to do - in the WebRTC conferencing case, "Give me
the sound from the chat over the headphones!" - while at the same time
expecting to unmute his Spotify after the call and have that continue to
appear on his hi-fi speakers.

An UA-embedded API has no idea what "the sound from the chat" means, so
can't make an UI that helps the user do the Right Thing.

The UA needs to give JS the ability to tell the output devices apart, so
that even if names are cryptic (like "MX4020 Stereo", or even "12497"),
they stay constant for the user, and stop there.

Pushing output device selection into browser chrome is a Bad Idea - as we
showed by pushing input device selection into browser chrome in Chrome a
few versions ago.

(Note: Default audio output device selection is an operating system. We
shouldn't move that into the UA either.)

My opinion.