Re: RECAP: Conclusion: Cloning and sharing of MediaStreamTracks - worth it?

On 2013-08-16 01:14, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 15 August 2013 16:03, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> wrote:
>> Much better cloning it. Cloning allows each track being controlled
>> separately (regardless they both share the same original source).
>
> Unless by cloning it you lose synchronization, or you end up with
> simulcast instead of a single stream.  There's no guarantee that a
> cloned track is rendered synchronously with other tracks from the same
> source - the only guarantee applies to tracks in the same MediaStream.
>   That's actually unlikely.
>
> More to the point, by not cloning, I avoid potential issues with
> configuration changes causing the source to become overconstrained.
> And maybe I want to manage changes globally.

I looked up the last summary of this discussion [1]. I think the most
relevant part in this case is:

'One still open question is whether a track can be a member of multiple
streams; there are ease-of-implementation issues that argue for saying
"no"; there are orthogonality arguments that argue "yes".'

I think that is where we stand. Against allowing 'shared' tracks are
ease-of-implementation arguments, for allowing 'shared' tracks are
orthogonality (which perhaps can be put as ease-of-use) arguments.

Stefan

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2013May/0081.html