Re: Good example for media capture and streams

Hi Adam

See between our lines below:

> Please - this is a list for discussion of the spec.
> What does the spec say? How should we change the spec?

Ok, respect. It's my first time here ...

> I believe we have consensus that we need to have more error codes. But
> the spec has the defined ones listed in section 8.4.1 - they are
> "PERMISSION_DENIED" and "CONSTRAINT_NOT_SATISFIED".

Agreed. At the moment each browser is behaving a bit differently with
error codes. For example Chrome throws a HARDWARE_UNAVAILABLE when user
has denied access to webcam whereas it's PERMISSION_DENIED for Firefox.

Hence I have this complicated logic in my current program code:

         if (typeof(err) == 'object')
             if (err.code == 1 && err.PERMISSION_DENIED == 1)
                 err = 'PERMISSION_DENIED';

         switch (err) {
             case 'NO_DEVICES_FOUND':
                 message = 'hmm, no webcam could be found!';
                 break;
             case 'PERMISSION_DENIED':
                 message = 'permission to access your webcam has been
denied!';
                 break;
             case 'HARDWARE_UNAVAILABLE':
                 message = 'your webcam is unavailable!<br/>maybe it is
already busy in another window?';
                 if (this.browser.isChrome)
                     message += '<br/>or you have to allow access above?';
                 break;
             default:
                 if (typeof err == 'string')
                     message = err;
                 else
                     message = JSON.stringify(err);
                 break;
         }

> "HARDWARE_UNAVAILABLE" is a Firefox extension. Do you want it to be added?

Yes please, the more the better. Thanks.

>>   * Do you all know node.js? In node.js there is only one callback
>>     instead of two, a success and an error callback. Here a proposal:
>>       o navigator.getUserMedia(constraints, callback) instead of
>>         navigator.getUserMedia (constraints, successCallback,
>>         errorCallback);
>>       o The callback has two parameters: callback(err,
>>         localMediaStream) and that looks like node.js where the error
>>         is always the first parameter in a callback function.
>>       o An advantage of such a change would be better compatibility
>>         with their huge library of other useful functions we could
>>         combine with.
>>

> This has been suggested before. The counterargument is that imposing
> an if/then/else structure as the first thing you do in a callback is
> almost exactly the same code as two callbacks - if anything, it's less
> clear. The group decided to stay with two callbacks.

I understand. But then I wonder why it's differently in the node.js
world. What was the reasons of the node.js makers to have one callback?
I'm curious about this, will investigate a bit more and come back about
this one. Maybe the node.js folks have a very good reason we missed out
in that discussion? I think in general, solving problems like these must
be shared, no matter that language or technology.

> If you want to have one callback for stylistic reasons, it will take
> you approximately 10 lines of Javascript to write a
> "getUserMediaWithOneCallback" function. The change was not thought
> worth the pain of changing.

Thanks. I know that :)

>>   * I feel combining getUserMedia with a video output via localStream
>>     and the 'loadedmetadata' event is a bit cumbersome. Why can't we
>>     simply pipe the one output with the one input and that's all?
>>

> When you say "pipe the one output with the one input", I don't really
> understand what you mean. And the "loadedmetadata" event is not part
> of the spec - you're talking about something else than the spec. What
> is it that you want changed in the spec?

At the moment it's cumbersome if I want to redirect the live video feed
to a canvas on the browser. Too many code lines are needed:
getUserMedia(), the 'loadedmetadata' event, play(), initialise the
canvas and get it's 2d context for rendering. I can show you all that
code. Or here an example (ignore the discussion):
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14857752/context-drawimage-canvas-todataurl-lagging-significantly-on-opera-mobile

Now, what I meant is to simplify all that: Make it possible to pipe the
video feed into the canvas directly. Like streams. Just pseudo code here:
getUserMedia().pipe().canvas;

Any data getUserMedia generates is treated as an input that goes into
the canvas. Something like that. Just an idea. I like the concepts of
streams we have over there with node.js and it's fantastic. With streams
you can attach, combine pieces very easily together ...

Cheers
Michael