Re: Good example for media capture and streams

On 04/05/2013 02:54 AM, Michael Heuberger wrote:
> Thanks Adam.
>
> Of course I'll have to be specific here. Now that I have introduced
> myself, let me outline few issues with Media Capture and Streams I had
> and think need improvement:
>
>   * Not all browsers (Chrome + Firefox) throw the same error codes for
>     the same situations, i.E. PERMISSION_DENIED:
>       o Firefox throws a HARDWARE_UNAVAILABLE when the webcam is
>         already busy in another window.
>       o Chrome throws HARDWARE_UNAVAILABLE when the user hasn't
>         granted access to there webcam yet (for that situation Firefox
>         throws a PERMISSION_DENIED)

Please - this is a list for discussion of the spec.
What does the spec say? How should we change the spec?

I believe we have consensus that we need to have more error codes. But
the spec has the defined ones listed in section 8.4.1 - they are
"PERMISSION_DENIED" and "CONSTRAINT_NOT_SATISFIED".

"HARDWARE_UNAVAILABLE" is a Firefox extension. Do you want it to be added?

>   * Do you all know node.js? In node.js there is only one callback
>     instead of two, a success and an error callback. Here a proposal:
>       o navigator.getUserMedia(constraints, callback) instead of
>         navigator.getUserMedia (constraints, successCallback,
>         errorCallback);
>       o The callback has two parameters: callback(err,
>         localMediaStream) and that looks like node.js where the error
>         is always the first parameter in a callback function.
>       o An advantage of such a change would be better compatibility
>         with their huge library of other useful functions we could
>         combine with.

This has been suggested before. The counterargument is that imposing an
if/then/else structure as the first thing you do in a callback is almost
exactly the same code as two callbacks - if anything, it's less clear.
The group decided to stay with two callbacks.

If you want to have one callback for stylistic reasons, it will take you
approximately 10 lines of Javascript to write a
"getUserMediaWithOneCallback" function. The change was not thought worth
the pain of changing.

>   * I feel combining getUserMedia with a video output via localStream
>     and the 'loadedmetadata' event is a bit cumbersome. Why can't we
>     simply pipe the one output with the one input and that's all?

When you say "pipe the one output with the one input", I don't really
understand what you mean. And the "loadedmetadata" event is not part of
the spec - you're talking about something else than the spec. What is it
that you want changed in the spec?

Thanks for the input - but I don't know what to change in response to it.