Re: suggest a parameter in getUserMedia

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 08:06:33 +0200
To: public-media-capture@w3.org
On 10/25/2012 02:36 AM, Sunyang (Eric) wrote:

> During development, we do not need keyboard or mouse for input, just
> video camera for input.So it is not possible to use keyboard/mouse to
> select the options, and  our use case can have other way for user
> authentication.
>
> And can we have a mode, that getUserMedia only generate mediastream
> without prompt to user for camera usage confirmation?
>
> Can we have a parameter "popup:off" in getUserMedia
> ({video:true,audio:true,popup:off},gotStream,noStream)
>
> So browser will not prompt to user select device, and silently
> activate the camera and audio deivce.
>
> And the browser may have a configuration that popup:off is enabled in
> "privacy region"

Chrome allows you to store in the preferences that a certain site is
trusted with your camera, in which case popups don't happen; you can
also select this from the popup dialog, so that future dialogs don't happen.

If a site is trusted, you don't need the "popup:off" argument to
getUserMedia; if a site is untrusted, specifying "popup:off" shouldn't
allow the site to grab your camera - it would be a security violation.