Re: Device enumeration, Fingerprinting and other privacy risks

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:42:51 +0200
To: public-media-capture@w3.org
On 10/11/2012 12:16 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> The use cases for device enumeration are far fewer and farther apart
> than those for capturing images. The risks are also lower, but not to
> be disregarded nevertheless. Device enumeration without user consent
> is exactly like making users walk around the street all day every day
> with a t-shirt listing the devices that they own. Device enumeration
> with user consent is less problematic, but it still amounts to walking
> into a shop and telling people how much you earn.
Well, many of us walk around all day showing off stuff that gives
discerning people a strong hint about how much we earn; we call them
"clothes".
(some members of the present company may be a bit off the norm here....)

Also, all the devices you can enumerate from me are bought under company
policy. Not a strong linkage to my income (the fact of who I work for
probably has a stronger one).