Re: Proposal for device "enumeration"

Le lundi 10 décembre 2012 à 09:44 -0800, Martin Thomson a écrit :

> Not so.  Fingerprinting pertains to the ability of the same tracker
> bug being implanted in the two different sites in order to correlate
> information about the same browser for the site.

I'm not sure I would restrict fingerprinting to that use case. Even
though a single site can use cookies to track a user, the user is in
control of these cookies, and so can take action to avoid that tracking
(in the simplest case, emptying a given site cookie list and local
storage). That wouldn't be the case for these device ids that are
completely opaque to the user.

Imagine a user that uses a site under two different identity, and takes
care of carefully cleaning cookies between these two usages (or more
realistically, uses a system that does it for her); if we expose stable
device ids that are scoped per site, then suddenly the site knows that
these two apparently distinct users are the same (or at least use the
same browser/computer).

Dom