Re: Proposal for device "enumeration"

On 2012-12-10 18:44, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 9 December 2012 22:47, Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com> wrote:
>> The fingerprinting surface is obviously greater if we expose a list of ids
>> (getDeviceIds()) compared to only the length of such a list (which would be
>> getNumDevices()).
>
> Not so.  Fingerprinting pertains to the ability of the same tracker
> bug being implanted in the two different sites in order to correlate
> information about the same browser for the site.  For a single site,
> installing a cookie (or stash something in local storage) provides a
> more stable reference.  As long as every origin receives a different
> identifier for the same device, then a list of identifiers is exactly
> equivalent to getNumDevices().

You're right. We did talk about making the ids origin specific.
getDeviceIds() does leak a bit more information about your connected
devices to sites that you've never granted any getUserMedia()
permissions to. The main use case, as I recall it, was to let trusted
sites reuse a device configuration known to work.

/Adam