Comment to issues in MediaStream Capture Scenarios: Stream re-initialization

From: Bryan Sullivan <blsaws@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:54:19 -0800
To: public-media-capture@w3.org
Re issues in https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/media-stream-capture/scenarios.html
on "Stream re-initialization":

Issue: "How shall the stream be re-acquired efficiently? Is it merely
a matter of re-requesting the entire MediaStream, or can an "ended"
mediastream be quickly revived? Reviving a local media stream makes
more sense in the context of the stream representing a set of device
states, than it does when the stream represents a network source. "
[bryan] Reviving a local stream may be more feasible (I dont know) but
seems an unnecessary optimization.

Issue: "What's the expected interaction model with regard to
user-consent? For example, if the re-initialization request is for the
same device(s), will the user be prompted for consent again? "
[bryan] I would hope that consent would not be revoked due to minor
glitches in the stream source connection.

Issue: "How can tug-of-war scenarios be avoided between two web
applications both attempting to gain access to a non-virtualized
device at the same time?"
[bryan] Unless ability to request exclusive access is supported in the
API and the implementation, it will be up to the user to decide
carefully by reviewing the (possibly multiple) prompts.

--
Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan