Re: First draft available

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 11:47:01 +0100
Cc: public-media-capture@w3.org
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>

See other thread. Note that similar threads to the one Anant pointed to have been raised in DAP, WebApps, Mozilla lists, the ScriptLib discussions. They're being captured in http://scriptlib-cg.github.com/api-design-cookbook/ (though much more work is needed on that).

>> One issue that remains fully open is the capture of stills. A typical use case would be to acquire the video feed from a camera in order for it to serve as a viewfinder in the application, and then be able to trigger a still capture from the device. Note that frame-grabbing is not at all an option here since you will never get anywhere near the quality that the device can produce.
>>
> Device controls in general have not been addressed. At the last WEBRTC meeting, the suggestion was that device control was natural to do with "hints" (such as "resolution=bestPossible") on getUserMedia, but that interface hasn't been described yet.

I see how hints could be useful for some settings (given the broad variability in features) but I fail to see how they could enable stills capture. Am I missing something?

> What's the current thinking on this subject for the declarative interface?

We're waiting on the UI prototyping being done by various browsers to see which hints exactly would be useful. I suspect these hints would be different though since it's a built-in UI that exposes the viewfinder, so that it can have all sorts of options on its own.