About metadata implementation

From: Dai Jianbin 00901725 <jdai@huawei.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:33:06 -0800
To: public-media-annotation@w3.org
Hi,

I am new in metadata area. I have some questions regarding metadata implementation that someone here may help me out. It seems to me that XML is the only computer language to represent and store metadata on a computer. But for large set of metadata, which requires lots of editing work like modification, deleting, appending, etc., XML file is very inefficient for any real applications. Is it possible to use some other methods, such as key-va
lue pair, to represent the metadata scheme?
Thank you very much if you would like to share any related knowledge on this topic.

JB-