Re: Using the Ontology for Media Resources in the Semantic Web

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:55:46 +0200
To: Yves Raimond <yves.raimond@bbc.co.uk>
CC: Media Annotation <public-media-annotation@w3.org>
> I am not sure I understand, indeed - what is the status of that the
> examples you mentioned above, then?

It has no status at all. Forget about this example. Its only purpose is
to illustrate an issue.

> Is that something that is likely
> to make it in the final document?

Absolutely not. The current situation is that "complex" annotations in
the sense I have explained are not possible so there is no reason to
have such an example.

> If you want to tackle the "complex
> media annotation" scenario, and want to stick to your ma:relation
> framework, then you will have to use Named Graphs in the way you
> described it above, which we are apparently both concerned about?

We come back to the original purpose of my email when I made up this
example. Intuitively, I could only think of this "named graph" solution
to fulfill this use case but I asked the SW Coordination Group if there
were other ways the WG could not think about since the "named graph"
does not bring satisfaction.

> Pointing to a SKOS concept doesn't cause any issues, but pointing to a
> Named Graphs relies on some semantics that isn't quite there yet.

Yes, we know that.

> Therefore, I am guessing there are only two possible outcomes 1)
> Dropping the "complex" annotations from the scope of the final
> document or 2) Move to another scheme than the ma:relation one for
> complex annotations, which was what I pointed at in my previous email?

The purpose of writing an email to the SW CG was exactly to ask for help
if there is not a 3rd way I cannot think about yet.
I think the minutes of the last F2F meeting of the WG summarize well all
this discussion.
Best regards.

RaphaŽl Troncy
Tel: +33 (0)4 - 9300 8242