Re: Media Ontology namespace and location

From: Felix Sasaki <felix.sasaki@fh-potsdam.de>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:33:13 +0200
To: "raphael.troncy" <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Cc: Media Annotation <public-media-annotation@w3.org>
Hi Raphael

Am 7. Juni 2010 14:12:41 UTC+2 schrieb RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@cwi.nl
>:

> Dear all,
>
> I have been able to locate the Media Ontology drafts at:
>  - http://www.salzburgresearch.at/~tbuerger/ma-ont.rdfs<http://www.salzburgresearch.at/%7Etbuerger/ma-ont.rdfs>(original RDFS version)
>  - http://www.ebu.ch/metadata/ontologies/W3C_MAWG/ma-ont-rev.rdfs.xml(revised RDFS version)
>  - http://www.salzburgresearch.at/~tbuerger/ma-ont.owl<http://www.salzburgresearch.at/%7Etbuerger/ma-ont.owl>(original OWL version).
> Why not checking in these files in a single obvious location that is the
> Media Annotations WG web space, e.g. in
> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/ontology/ ?
>
> I wanted to do that myself, but I just realize how messy was this CVS web
> directory, with many duplicate folders. Who is doing some cleanup and
> administration here ?
>
> Further, the namespace of the Media Ontology seems to be:
> http://www.w3.org/ns/ma-ont#. Is this the final namespace? I observe it is
> inconsistent with the usual non-written W3C policy

There is a policy for W3C namespaces, see
http://www.w3.org/2005/07/13-nsuri. It includes also the "non dated"
option.

> where namespaces tend to include dates (see e.g. OWL, RDF, RDFS, SKOS,
> etc.). It is also largely inconsistent with community practice from the Web
> of Data community. I wonder how much the choice of the namespace has been
> discussed?
>
> I would like to point out the importance of this issue. Remember the SKOS
> history, that has debated for many weeks the change of its namespace but
> couldn't since too many applications relying on the old one would have been
> broken! I'm already using the ma-ont namespace in my application, so take a
> decision sooner than later!

I think both options - dated or not - are fine and in accordance with the
W3C namespace policy mentioned above. I don't have a preference for one of
them - stability of the choice is most important.

Best,

Felix