Re: Media Ontology namespace and location

Raphaël Troncy wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have been able to locate the Media Ontology drafts at:
>  - http://www.salzburgresearch.at/~tbuerger/ma-ont.rdfs (original RDFS
> version)
>  - http://www.ebu.ch/metadata/ontologies/W3C_MAWG/ma-ont-rev.rdfs.xml
> (revised RDFS version)
>  - http://www.salzburgresearch.at/~tbuerger/ma-ont.owl (original OWL
> version).
> Why not checking in these files in a single obvious location that is the
> Media Annotations WG web space, e.g. in
> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/ontology/ ?
> I wanted to do that myself, but I just realize how messy was this CVS
> web directory, with many duplicate folders. Who is doing some cleanup
> and administration here ?
>
> Further, the namespace of the Media Ontology seems to be:
> http://www.w3.org/ns/ma-ont#. Is this the final namespace? I observe it
> is inconsistent with the usual non-written W3C policy where namespaces
> tend to include dates (see e.g. OWL, RDF, RDFS, SKOS, etc.). It is also
> largely inconsistent with community practice from the Web of Data
> community. I wonder how much the choice of the namespace has been
> discussed?

I was not present during the discussion of the Media Annotation
namespace, but the current name space
http://www.w3.org/ns/ma-ont  mentioned in the ontology dratf
  is coherent with the "Namespace URIs in Recommendation Track
Documents" [1]

Director approval is NOT REQUIRED when a namespace URI in a Technical
Report has any of the following forms:

     * http://www.w3.org/ns/ssss
     * http://www.w3.org/YYYY/MM/ssss
     * http://www.w3.org/YYYY/ssss

where:

     * ns is the literal string "ns"
     * YYYY and MM are decimal digits corresponding to the year and
month of URI allocation
     * ssss is a short string not causing confusion, alarm, or
embarrassment. For instance, the short string should not cause confusion
when used in both http://www.w3.org/TR/ssss and
http://www.w3.org/ns/ssss URIs.

But use of syntax such as
  http://www.w3.org/YYYY/MM/ssss
enables the W3C support staff to ensure very high level of persistence
for namespace URIs, in terms of the non-reuse and the availability of
any online materials (schemata etc).

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/13-nsuri