Re: [LC Comment ONT] copyright/policy suggestions

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:13:34 +0200
Cc: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>, public-media-annotation@w3.org, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, Marco Casassa Mont <marco_casassa-mont@hp.com>
To: Renato Iannella <renato@iannella.it>

On Aug 16, 2010, at 13:14 , Renato Iannella wrote:
>> I am still wondering what the problem is with separating "is this copyrighted and if so by who?" from "what usages are permitted, or not?".
>
> We are not proposing this - we are doing the opposite - one model to access *all* policy information.

I know you are not.  You are opposing the current media annotations draft, which does, for good pragmatic reasons.  I'm trying to understand why :-(, and "it looks tidier in one model" is one reason, but not very strong, IMHO.  Whereas low-impedance matching to what we find in existing practice is a good reason for a clear expression of copyright (see TCOP in ID3, Copyright in EXIF and MP4, and so on), IMHO.

David Singer