RE : Renaming of ma:format?

>From an IANA perspective is doesn't make sense to dissociate MIME types from Media Types as IANA consider MIME types as media types.

In any case I don't like MIME types as they induce confusion between audio, video and wrapper formats. In EBUCore we use mimeType (for the sake of interoperability) and fileFormat, both under 'format' as an extension to dc:format.

ContentType doesn't bring much in addition to ma:format. It is just a matter of naming.  Actually ma:format maintains a minimum of interoperability with dc:format.  In EBUCore mimeType and fileFormat are under format and can therefore be mapped back to dc:format. This doesn't mean I am a big fan of the dc:format bag for anything one can think of if not further refined like in EBUCore. But I am a fan of not constantly reinventing the wheel and whether we like it or not dc exist.

Therefore, and logically, my preference is to keep ma:format.

Jean-Pierre

De : public-media-annotation-request@w3.org [public-media-annotation-request@w3.org] de la part de "Tobias Bürger" [tobias.buerger@sti2.at]
Date d'envoi : lundi, 26. avril 2010 17:26
À : public-media-annotation@w3.org
Objet : Renaming of ma:format?

Dear all,

after a comment from Robin we are currently discussing to rename
the ma:format into

ma:MimeType
ma:mediaType
ma:contentType

Please express your opinions/objections to the proposed options or the old
term.

Thanks.

Best,

Tobias

Dr. Tobias Bürger

tobias.buerger@sti2.at
This email and any files transmitted with it
are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed.
If you have received this email in error,
please notify the system manager.
This footnote also confirms that this email
message has been swept by the mailgateway