Re: Why not use DC?

Hi Ron,

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Ron Daniel
<rdaniel@taxonomystrategies.com> wrote:
> Earlier today I came across the Media Ontology for the first time. My
> initial reaction was one of dismay to see the copying of the Dublin Core
> elements into a different namespace.
>
> I understand that the group sees the ma: properties – not as replacements
> for the DC and other properties, but as identifiers for mappings between
> equivalent properties in various formats.

I might just add, this is a good summary of how many in the Dublin
Core have seen and described their work: as a common core shared by
otherwise diverse and fragmented information systems. For those new to
DC, this might not be so obvious.
eg. see http://www.dlib.org/dlib/december00/weibel/12weibel.html

I'd also prefer to see DC terms used as the shared 'hub' here, where
there's a natural fit. There are plenty of places where a
media-specific ontology might be useful, but for the DC-like stuff,
reference rather than copy makes sense...

cheers,

Dan