Re: Properties for media fragment?

At 22:02  +0100 4/05/09, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I agree with David that "my favourite scenes" is neither 'intrinsic' not
>'published'. I also agree to call that 'user' metadata, and would point
>out that our use case 5.6 [1] is exactly about that.
>
>But the properties proposed by Felix are not, IMO, limited to user
>generated metadata. Some videos are complex, and different fragments may
>have different intrinsic or published metadata. A canonical example is a
>news report, which is a composite media object comprising several parts.
>Both the whole report and each part deserve theit own metadata
>(intrinsic and published), but it should be possible to express the
>relation between the whole and the parts.

right, time-variant metadata is a big question.
Most annotation/metadata systems think of it as
time-invariuant ('applies to the whole
resource').  However, some things are better
time-variant (e.g. the copyright owner of a movie
assembled from pieces might vary by piece).

It's easy to design an interface "at  time T in
this movie, what is the answer to X" and have the
reply be "at any time, the answer is Y"
(time-invariant label).  It's harder to answer
"what is the answer to X" with "well, that
depends on what time in the movie you ask about".

worth pondering...