Re: mapping table 2.0

From: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:37:55 -0800
Cc: public-media-annotation@w3.org
To: Pierre-Antoine Champin <pchampin@liris.cnrs.fr>, Joakim Söderberg <joakim.soderberg@ericsson.com>

On Feb 23, 2009, at 4:50 AM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:

> I'm not sure designing "yet another" ontology of abstraction levels
> is a
> good idea. Felix already pointed out that FRBR, for example, was not
> entirely satisfactory to the BBC, and that they had to design their
> own
> abstraction hierarchy.
>
> I would favor a minimalistic approach with a single and very general
> property. For that matter, it seems to me that dc:source [1] is a good
> candidate, and this is what I used in my toy implementation.
>
> More refined abstraction hierarchies could be defined by specializing
> this property and introducing new classes, like the ones in FRBR or in
> the BBC ontology, but I think committing to one or the other would
> only
> limit the scope of our work.

   I agree whole-heartedly - the first version of this spec should
take as minimalistic an approach as possible.

   I believe a single abstraction layer will be quite powerful, and
additional complexity can be built on top of this in the next version
of the spec *if* it proves to be necessary as people use the first
version of the API.

Eric Carlson
Rich Media Systems - Apple, Inc.