W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-media-annotation@w3.org > September 2008

[mediaann minutes] 2008-09-23 telephone conference minutes

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 23:15:14 +0900
Message-ID: <48D8F9F2.3030608@w3.org>
To: public-media-annotation@w3.org

... are at http://www.w3.org/2008/09/23-mediaann-minutes.html and below
as text. Please check if there is a need for corrections. Regarding the 
"formats" questionnaire: I have extended it for one more week.

Felix


[1]W3C

[1] http://www.w3.org/

- DRAFT -

MAGW

23 Sep 2008

[2]Agenda

[2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-annotation/2008Sep/0041.html

See also: [3]IRC log

[3] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/23-mediaann-irc

Attendees

Present
tobias, davy, raphael(IRC), felix, VĂ©ronique, Daniel, Werner,
Hui, Erik, Frank

Regrets
Chair
Daniel

Scribe
Felix

Contents

* [4]Topics
1. [5]agenda review
2. [6]Agenda review / approval of previous minutes
3. [7]Selection of scribe for next meeting
4. [8]Future telephone conferences and f2f meetings / call
time
5. [9]Call for co-chair
6. [10]Action items
7. [11]Editing
8. [12]Open issues
9. [13]wrap up
10. [14]AOB
* [15]Summary of Action Items
_________________________________________________________

<scribe> agenda:
[16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-annotation/2008
Sep/att-0041/00-part

[16] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-annotation/2008Sep/att-0041/00-part

agenda review

Daniel reviews the agenda

daniel: no need to go through all open issue, we can go through them
briefly and continue discussion via mail

Agenda review / approval of previous minutes

[17]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/09-mediaann-minutes.html

[17] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/09-mediaann-minutes.html

RESOLUTION: minutes approved

Selection of scribe for next meeting

next scribe will be Hui

Future telephone conferences and f2f meetings / call time

Daniel: we will have an alternating schedule, see upcoming calls at
[18]http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/admin
... at TPAC, we will have a joint meeting with PLING IG
... in Belgium we will have a joint meeting with media fragment WG

[18] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/admin

Call for co-chair

no update for now

Action items

[19]http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/track/actions/open

[19] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/track/actions/open

close ACTION-1

<trackbot> ACTION-1 Book the bridge for the weekly telecon closed

close ACTION-2

<trackbot> ACTION-2 Give a cvs access to Daniel and to the editors
closed

close ACTION-3

<trackbot> ACTION-3 Prepare the editing environment including
templates, directories, etc. closed

close ACTION-4

<trackbot> ACTION-4 Pull out requirements of one standard (to be
decided which), AI also for Erik closed

Veronique had sent information on IPTC, and we will not keep this
general action item

Editing

<VeroniqueM> I could also participate in editing, but I have very
few experience with this...

tobias: I can edit later

daniel: we will be a team

felix: every editor will edit each deliverable

<hmiao> i would like to join editing, though i've little experience.

[20]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/media-annotations-wg.html

[20] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/media-annotations-wg.html

<spark3> Hui and tobias are volunteers for editing team as of today

Open issues

<raphael> There is an open questionnaire regarding the formats in
scope and out of scope, could we keep it open one more week ?

<hmiao> anyone mension the youtube like video yet ?

<hmiao> it'll be an important format for our application

daniel: propose that we go through the issues until next
teleconference via mail, and try to wrap them up during that call,
and work on the editors draft just after that

<VeroniqueM> would it make sense to link the use cases with
requirements lists more specifically?

<spark3> Raphael, yes, we will open for all of open issue until next
telecon

<scribe> ACTION: Felix to extend "formats ... scope" for one more
week [recorded in
[21]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/23-mediaann-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-5 - Extend \"formats ... scope\" for one
more week [on Felix Sasaki - due 2008-09-30].

<VeroniqueM> this might hep us getting a list of requirements?

<VeroniqueM> maybe we can make a short list of the use cases, just
by their names?

Use case "Services by using an unified media annotation"

<VeroniqueM> yes

<wbailer> yes

<davy> yes

<erik> yes

Use case "Video on IPTV" - should that be merged into another use
case?

<VeroniqueM> yes

<spark3> yes

<davy> yes

<wbailer> yes, merge with services

<erik> yes

<tobiasbuerger> yes

Requirement "Covering variations across locales"

<spark3> it's requirements, yes

<wbailer> yes, it's maybe related to adaptation use case?

<VeroniqueM> or to interoperability?

Use case "Audiovisual archive as a Cultural Heritage institution"

<spark3> yes

<wbailer> yes, as mentioned on the list it might be broad and could
be more concrete

<wbailer> agree

veronique: well, it was more a general view than a specific usecase,
but can be splitted into searching and interoperability

<spark3> agree

<davy> yes

<tobiasbuerger> yes

<erik> yes

<VeroniqueM> yes

Use case "Metadata to help promoting safe environments"

<VeroniqueM> can be related to personalisation, to some extent?

Felix: should it be a separate use case? Or

<wbailer> agree to relate it to other uc

Felix: be related to something else

<tobiasbuerger> we could also merge it with the services use case...

<erik> agree to relate it

Use case "Multi media and semantic web technologies"

<tobiasbuerger> This is too broad I guess and not meant as a use
case. Yes - please drop it

drop this since it is too broad?

<davy> agree

<VeroniqueM> agreed

<wbailer> agree

<spark3> agree

<erik> agree

<raphael> agree

Use case "Photo" - should we take this into account?

<raphael> Does the charter talk only about videos ?

<VeroniqueM> has this not be covered by the XG?

<spark3> isn't it related to Multimedia Annotation XG ?

<VeroniqueM> Image annotation I mean

[22]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/media-annotations-wg.html

[22] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/media-annotations-wg.html

<raphael> No, the role of the XG was not to promote a particular
schema or ontology for describing media

<wbailer> yes, but somehow it'orthogonal: media types vs application
like searc etc

"This Group is chartered to provide a simple ontology to support
cross-community data integration of information related to media
objects on the Web, as well as an API to access the information."

(from the charter)

<raphael> ... but rather to investigate how SW technologies help to
build bridges between exixting formats and standards

daniel: our homepage talks about video, audio and images

<spark3> Video/Audio/Images

<raphael> ... so my conclusion is, there is still a lot to do to
make the DC for photos, or videos

<tobiasbuerger> +1, Raphael. Agree.

<erik> +1

Use case "music" - should we take this into account?

daniel: not sure

<raphael> Same conclusion, the pseudo-formalization of the ID3 tags
using the Music Ontology is interesting and might be a good start up

raphael: "same conclusion" means: valid use case?

<VeroniqueM> not sure either, lots of very specific issues would
then be taken into account

<VeroniqueM> ok to Raphael

<wbailer> but music ontology is quite specific, we should stay on a
more generic level

<raphael> Yes, valid use case, I think ... in the sense that your
title property would be likely to be used for a title of a movie or
a song

<raphael> ... and a link to the ID3 title is a good thing, etc.

<raphael> agree for the music ontology, I'm talking about reusing
some elements ... and link to some others

Felix: sounds like a valid use case but on a very general level

<wbailer> providing means for linking seems to be a good idea

Use case "News"

<erik> yes

<tobiasbuerger> yes

<raphael> I see the outcome of this group as a core schema, with a
lot of open windows to standards, with explicit semantics

<VeroniqueM> that's a very complex and very interesting use case!
Vote for yes

<raphael> News: not in the state that it is described in the XG
document .. but yes in the general sense

<wbailer> yes, i see the same thing as for music: avoid getting too
specific

<spark3> yes

Use case "Tagging"

<VeroniqueM> in what sense?

<spark3> tagging for what ?

<VeroniqueM> as values for a schema?

<VeroniqueM> or instead of it?

<tobiasbuerger> what it was about: "The tagging use case which
tackles the problem of interoperability and portability of tagging
systems and personal tags."

<raphael> Goal of the XG was to allow reusing a personomy between
various platforms

<raphael> ... example: you use the same flickr tags on delicious

<wbailer> merge it with interop?

<raphael> ... you own your tags, defined in SKOS, and you can search
cross-platform

<VeroniqueM> in that case, makes sense

<VeroniqueM> if you define them

<raphael> ... each tags has a global URI and is formally defined

Felix: maybe we will not be able to solve that interoperabiltiy
problem, only on a very high level of the ontology, and leave the
rest to other fora

Use case "semantic media analysis"

Felix: too general - close that?

<raphael> agree

<spark3> agree

<davy> agree

<tobiasbuerger> I guess we should take some aspects into accout...

<wbailer> agree, analysis is done for search, adaptation ,...

<tobiasbuerger> ...like links between modalities

<VeroniqueM> like semiotic relations between speech and image in a
video?

tobias: how text can support the analsys of media. This use case is
about references between text and parts of the image

felix: do you think the relations should be typed and part of the
ontology?

tobias: yes

felix: let's discuss this via mail

Use case "algorithm representation"

<wbailer> drop

<tobiasbuerger> drop

felix: out of scope - drop it?

<VeroniqueM> yes

<davy> yes

<raphael> agree to drop it

<erik> yes

wrap up

Daniel: please check
[23]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&
short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=Media+Annotations
+WG&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwo
rdssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status
_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=NEW&bug_sta
tus=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailtype1

[23] 
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=Media+Annotations+WG&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&emailtype1

daniel: and make discussion on the list

<raphael> is next week telecon changing hour ?

yes, see schedule at
[24]http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/admin

[24] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/admin

<raphael> ok, it has been approved ?

<spark3> 21 UTC

raphael, yes

<raphael> ok, thanks, I can make it :-)

AOB

tobias: can I participate in TPAC f2f via phone?

Felix: yes, we have a bridge for both days

<spark3> any issues today ?

<spark3> Raphael, is that ok for you ? we will adjourn today call

<raphael> yes, thanks !

many thanks, spark3!

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Felix to extend "formats ... scope" for one more week
[recorded in
[25]http://www.w3.org/2008/09/23-mediaann-minutes.html#action01]

[End of minutes]
_________________________________________________________


Minutes formatted by David Booth's [26]scribe.perl version 1.133
([27]CVS log)
$Date: 2008/09/23 14:01:01 $

[26] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
[27] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Tuesday, 23 September 2008 14:15:54 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 10 October 2008 05:33:19 GMT