[mediaann minutes] 2008-09-23 telephone conference minutes

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 23:15:14 +0900
To: public-media-annotation@w3.org

... are at http://www.w3.org/2008/09/23-mediaann-minutes.html and below
as text. Please check if there is a need for corrections. Regarding the
"formats" questionnaire: I have extended it for one more week.

[1] http://www.w3.org/

See also: [3]IRC log

[3] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/23-mediaann-irc

tobias, davy, raphael(IRC), felix, VĂ©ronique, Daniel, Werner,
Hui, Erik, Frank

* [4]Topics
1. [5]agenda review
2. [6]Agenda review / approval of previous minutes
3. [7]Selection of scribe for next meeting
4. [8]Future telephone conferences and f2f meetings / call
5. [9]Call for co-chair
6. [10]Action items
7. [11]Editing
8. [12]Open issues
9. [13]wrap up
10. [14]AOB
* [15]Summary of Action Items

<scribe> agenda:

agenda review

Daniel reviews the agenda

daniel: no need to go through all open issue, we can go through them
briefly and continue discussion via mail

Agenda review / approval of previous minutes

[17] http://www.w3.org/2008/09/09-mediaann-minutes.html

RESOLUTION: minutes approved

Selection of scribe for next meeting

next scribe will be Hui

Future telephone conferences and f2f meetings / call time

Daniel: we will have an alternating schedule, see upcoming calls at
... at TPAC, we will have a joint meeting with PLING IG
... in Belgium we will have a joint meeting with media fragment WG

[18] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/admin

Call for co-chair

no update for now

Action items

[19] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/track/actions/open

close ACTION-1

<trackbot> ACTION-1 Book the bridge for the weekly telecon closed

close ACTION-2

<trackbot> ACTION-2 Give a cvs access to Daniel and to the editors

close ACTION-3

<trackbot> ACTION-3 Prepare the editing environment including
templates, directories, etc. closed

close ACTION-4

<trackbot> ACTION-4 Pull out requirements of one standard (to be
decided which), AI also for Erik closed

Veronique had sent information on IPTC, and we will not keep this
general action item

<VeroniqueM> I could also participate in editing, but I have very
few experience with this...

tobias: I can edit later

daniel: we will be a team

felix: every editor will edit each deliverable

<hmiao> i would like to join editing, though i've little experience.

[20] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/media-annotations-wg.html

<spark3> Hui and tobias are volunteers for editing team as of today

Open issues

<raphael> There is an open questionnaire regarding the formats in
scope and out of scope, could we keep it open one more week ?

<hmiao> anyone mension the youtube like video yet ?

<hmiao> it'll be an important format for our application

daniel: propose that we go through the issues until next
teleconference via mail, and try to wrap them up during that call,
and work on the editors draft just after that

<VeroniqueM> would it make sense to link the use cases with
requirements lists more specifically?

<spark3> Raphael, yes, we will open for all of open issue until next

<scribe> ACTION: Felix to extend "formats ... scope" for one more
week [recorded in

<trackbot> Created ACTION-5 - Extend \"formats ... scope\" for one
more week [on Felix Sasaki - due 2008-09-30].

<VeroniqueM> this might hep us getting a list of requirements?

<VeroniqueM> maybe we can make a short list of the use cases, just
by their names?

Use case "Services by using an unified media annotation"

<VeroniqueM> yes

<wbailer> yes

<davy> yes

<erik> yes

Use case "Video on IPTV" - should that be merged into another use

<VeroniqueM> yes

<spark3> yes

<davy> yes

<wbailer> yes, merge with services

<erik> yes

<tobiasbuerger> yes

Requirement "Covering variations across locales"

<spark3> it's requirements, yes

<wbailer> yes, it's maybe related to adaptation use case?

<VeroniqueM> or to interoperability?

Use case "Audiovisual archive as a Cultural Heritage institution"

<spark3> yes

<wbailer> yes, as mentioned on the list it might be broad and could
be more concrete

<wbailer> agree

veronique: well, it was more a general view than a specific usecase,
but can be splitted into searching and interoperability

<spark3> agree

<davy> yes

<tobiasbuerger> yes

<erik> yes

<VeroniqueM> yes

Use case "Metadata to help promoting safe environments"

<VeroniqueM> can be related to personalisation, to some extent?

Felix: should it be a separate use case? Or

<wbailer> agree to relate it to other uc

Felix: be related to something else

<tobiasbuerger> we could also merge it with the services use case...

<erik> agree to relate it

Use case "Multi media and semantic web technologies"

<tobiasbuerger> This is too broad I guess and not meant as a use
case. Yes - please drop it

drop this since it is too broad?

<davy> agree

<VeroniqueM> agreed

<wbailer> agree

<spark3> agree

<erik> agree

<raphael> agree

Use case "Photo" - should we take this into account?

<raphael> Does the charter talk only about videos ?

<VeroniqueM> has this not be covered by the XG?

<spark3> isn't it related to Multimedia Annotation XG ?

<VeroniqueM> Image annotation I mean

[22] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/media-annotations-wg.html

<raphael> No, the role of the XG was not to promote a particular
schema or ontology for describing media

<wbailer> yes, but somehow it'orthogonal: media types vs application
like searc etc

"This Group is chartered to provide a simple ontology to support
cross-community data integration of information related to media
objects on the Web, as well as an API to access the information."

(from the charter)

<raphael> ... but rather to investigate how SW technologies help to
build bridges between exixting formats and standards

daniel: our homepage talks about video, audio and images

<spark3> Video/Audio/Images

<raphael> ... so my conclusion is, there is still a lot to do to
make the DC for photos, or videos

<tobiasbuerger> +1, Raphael. Agree.

<erik> +1

Use case "music" - should we take this into account?

daniel: not sure

<raphael> Same conclusion, the pseudo-formalization of the ID3 tags
using the Music Ontology is interesting and might be a good start up

raphael: "same conclusion" means: valid use case?

<VeroniqueM> not sure either, lots of very specific issues would
then be taken into account

<VeroniqueM> ok to Raphael

<wbailer> but music ontology is quite specific, we should stay on a
more generic level

<raphael> Yes, valid use case, I think ... in the sense that your
title property would be likely to be used for a title of a movie or
a song

<raphael> ... and a link to the ID3 title is a good thing, etc.

<raphael> agree for the music ontology, I'm talking about reusing
some elements ... and link to some others

Felix: sounds like a valid use case but on a very general level

<wbailer> providing means for linking seems to be a good idea

Use case "News"

<erik> yes

<tobiasbuerger> yes

<raphael> I see the outcome of this group as a core schema, with a
lot of open windows to standards, with explicit semantics

<VeroniqueM> that's a very complex and very interesting use case!
Vote for yes

<raphael> News: not in the state that it is described in the XG
document .. but yes in the general sense

<wbailer> yes, i see the same thing as for music: avoid getting too

<spark3> yes

Use case "Tagging"

<VeroniqueM> in what sense?

<spark3> tagging for what ?

<VeroniqueM> as values for a schema?

<VeroniqueM> or instead of it?

<tobiasbuerger> what it was about: "The tagging use case which
tackles the problem of interoperability and portability of tagging
systems and personal tags."

<raphael> Goal of the XG was to allow reusing a personomy between
various platforms

<raphael> ... example: you use the same flickr tags on delicious

<wbailer> merge it with interop?

<raphael> ... you own your tags, defined in SKOS, and you can search

<VeroniqueM> in that case, makes sense

<VeroniqueM> if you define them

<raphael> ... each tags has a global URI and is formally defined

Felix: maybe we will not be able to solve that interoperabiltiy
problem, only on a very high level of the ontology, and leave the
rest to other fora

Use case "semantic media analysis"

Felix: too general - close that?

<raphael> agree

<spark3> agree

<davy> agree

<tobiasbuerger> I guess we should take some aspects into accout...

<wbailer> agree, analysis is done for search, adaptation ,...

<tobiasbuerger> ...like links between modalities

<VeroniqueM> like semiotic relations between speech and image in a

tobias: how text can support the analsys of media. This use case is
about references between text and parts of the image

felix: do you think the relations should be typed and part of the

tobias: yes

felix: let's discuss this via mail

Use case "algorithm representation"

<wbailer> drop

<tobiasbuerger> drop

felix: out of scope - drop it?

<VeroniqueM> yes

<davy> yes

<raphael> agree to drop it

<erik> yes

wrap up

Daniel: please check

daniel: and make discussion on the list

<raphael> is next week telecon changing hour ?

yes, see schedule at

[24] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/admin

<raphael> ok, it has been approved ?

<spark3> 21 UTC

raphael, yes

<raphael> ok, thanks, I can make it :-)

tobias: can I participate in TPAC f2f via phone?

Felix: yes, we have a bridge for both days

<spark3> any issues today ?

<spark3> Raphael, is that ok for you ? we will adjourn today call

<raphael> yes, thanks !

many thanks, spark3!

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Felix to extend "formats ... scope" for one more week
[recorded in

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [26]scribe.perl version 1.133
([27]CVS log)
$Date: 2008/09/23 14:01:01 $

[26] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
[27] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/