Re: my token about the "3 or more layer" structure for the ontology

Hi Felix, thank you for your feedback.

First, the term "data structure" was a bad choice. I should have written
"conceptual model", which describes better what I am interested in. I
think once we agree on a conceptual model, we can chose the best syntax
to represent it -- if we want to...

As a matter of fact, I took for granted that we would have to define our
own format. But once again, the most important thing is the conceptual
model.

To be clear about my idea of a "conceptual model" or "ontology"... It
does not necessarily implies that we describe it formally. You advocate
a "prose" description, and it is indeed a possibility, as long as it is
precise enough.

However, that does not rule out, IMHO, the discussion about structure --
and I still think structure is important for interoperability problems.
I take an example:

ID3 [1] has apparently a flat structure: it is a list of properties with
text value. However, take the descriptions of the following properties:

>   TALB
>    The 'Album/Movie/Show title' frame is intended for the title of the
>    recording (or source of sound) from which the audio in the file is
>    taken.
>
>   TOAL
>    The 'Original album/movie/show title' frame is intended for the title
>    of the original recording (or source of sound), if for example the
>    music in the file should be a cover of a previously released song.

There is an awful lot of structure hidden in those flat properties!
A sound file is *taken from* a *recording*, which has a *title* and can
be an *album*, a *movie*, a *show* (and the list is probably not
intended to be exhaustive). But it can have been *previously released*
in another *recording*.

So mapping those properties to, say, Dublin Core properties, not only
requires to find an equivalence between the notion title, but also
*taken from* (dc:source ?), *previously released* (??), etc...

  pa

[1] http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames