my token about the "3 or more layer" structure for the ontology

From: <vmalaise@few.vu.nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:27:33 +0100
To: public-media-annotation@w3.org

Hi everyone,

I was at first very much in favor of an ontology that would distinguish
different levels of media documents, like "work-manifestation-instance-item",
but after reading this email from the list:
I agreed with the fact that we would probably only need a simple structure in
our case, that multi-level structures were meant for linking different entities
that have different status together: if we aim for linking the descriptions of a
single item between different vocabularies, we need to specify if the single
item is a work_in_XX_vocabulary, more likely a manifestation_in_XX_vocabulary
(see note 1 below), to give its "type", and if people/use cases want to link
this single item to other related works, manifestations, instances or items,
they can use the framework defined in the schemas reviewed in
and use these properties for completing their description.
So we would need a property like "has_type" to link a single description's
identifier to the correct level of multilevel description schemes.

I changed my mind think that only one "family" of use cases would need more
levels, that they are somehow context dependent (and could thus be considered as
requirements for a family of use cases), but of course if it turns out that more
that one family of use cases needs this distinction, then we should consider
going for a multilevel structure. Anyway, we would need to map informally the
way these levels are expressed, in order to provide possible relevant "types"
for the description of each single element.

note 1: by specifying the different names of the relevant Concepts/terms in
schemes like VRA, XMP etc., we would informally define a semantic equivalence
between the ways these schema express these levels of description. It would look
<hasType xmpMM:InstanceID, vra:image, frbr:item>

I think that the table
is a very valuable tool for people to express their ideas about it, thank you
very much Ruben for designing it!