Re: text/markdown effort in IETF (invite)

On 7/9/2014 11:40 AM, Ciro Santilli wrote:
> How can I view and participate on the IETF discussions?

Subscribe to apps-discuss@ietf.org.

Here is the link:

Overall the IETF process is more open than the W3C, namely due to
differing IPR policies. That being said, do review the Note Well before
posting.

With this said, I also posted to markdown-discuss@six.pairlist.net, and
it seems there is a lot of discussion there. I am going to attempt more
participation there.

> For the flavor variation, consider the test suite:
> https://github.com/karlcow/markdown-testsuite Also see the yet
> immature W3C draft at
> https://github.com/karlcow/markdown-testsuite/blob/master/markdown-spec.html
> and some discussions on the issues.

Thanks. I reviewed it.

> Is the draft version controlled? Hosting it on GitHub, and possibly
> discussing it there would be great if possible: it would be much more
> visible to Markdown implementors given the large amount
> implementations hosted there.

I'll probably put it on GitHub or some other place after the IETF 90
meeting in a couple of weeks.

> IIUC, the current draft simply points to the original Markdown
> implementation / docs? Following an implementation is dangerous as it
> means following its bugs, and the docs are very vague on many points
> as it is a documentation and not a spec (in particular, lists). Are
> there plans to write an entire precise formal specification?

As stated, my purpose in writing the text/markdown media type (other
than that "it's obvious" and "people are already labeling their content
with text/x-markdown, so why don't we get rid of the x-") is simply to
standardize on the label, not the specification. I consider the syntax
specification as out-of-scope for the (proposed) IETF work. However, if
the IETFers like it at the meeting, the scope could grow.

-Sean